— poultry town —
Location of Namakkal
in Tamil Nadu and India
Coordinates 11°14′N 78°10′E / 11.23°N 78.17°E / 11.23; 78.17Coordinates: 11°14′N 78°10′E / 11.23°N 78.17°E / 11.23; 78.17
State Tamil Nadu
Population 53,040 (2001[update])
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)
• 218 metres (715 ft)
• Pincode • 637 001
• Telephone • +91 - 4286
• Vehicle • TN 28
Namakkal (Tamil: நாமக்கல்,Malayalam:നാമക്കൽ) is a city and a municipality in Namakkal district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is the headquarters of Namakkal district. It is the first ISO 14001-2004 certified municipality in Asia for environmental management, specifically the provision and maintenance of water supply, solid waste and sewage management, town planning, lighting and other social services.
It is named as Educational city, Poultry city, and Transport city.
It is a part of Kongu Nadu (Kongu Desam) region of Tamil Nadu which was hotly contested and coveted by both the ancient Pallavas and the Pandyas.Namakkal was in the hands of Atiakula King called Gunasila who has marriage with Pallava King. Later the taluk was over run by the Cholas in the Kongu Mandalam .After the struggle between the Cheras , Cholas and Pandiyas, the Hoysalas rose to power and had control till the 14th century followed by Vijayanagar Kings till 1565 AD. Then the Madurai Nayakas came to power in 1623 AD. Two of the Polygons of Thirumalai Nayak namely, Ramachandra Nayaka and Gatti Mudaliars ruled the Salem area. The Namakkal Fort is reported to have been built by Ramachandra Nayakas. After about 1625 AD, the area came successively under the rule of Muslim Sultans of Bijapur and Golkonda Mysore kings and then the Marathas, when about the year 1750 AD. Hyder Ali came to power. During this period, it was a history of power struggle between Hyder Ali and later Tippu , with the British. The Rock Fort in Namakkal is a special feature of the Town. The Fort covers an area of one and half acres of flat surface and is accessible from South-West by a flight of narrow steps. Namakkal was held by Killdhar (Caption) on Hyder Ali until it was captured by British in 1768. For a brief period during late 18th and early 19th century Namakkal was under Trichinopoly district of British Rule. Later Namakkal was transferred back to Salem District.
* 1 Geography
* 2 History
* 3 Nearest River Kaveri / Cauvery
* 4 Lord Anjaneya temple
* 5 Namagiri Lakshmi Narasimhaswami Temple
* 6 Platinum prospects in Namakkal
* 7 Nearby Villages around Namakkal
* 8 Tourist Place around Namakkal
* 9 Transport
* 10 Climate
* 11 Demographics
* 12 Economy and Industries in Namakkal
* 13 Art
* 14 Recent developments
* 15 Politics
* 16 Educational Institutes
o 16.1 Salem Educational Directory
o 16.2 Schools
o 16.3 Colleges and universities
* 17 Transport Hub
* 18 Poultry Hub
* 19 References
o 19.1 External links
* 20 See also
Namakkal is located at 11°14′N 78°10′E / 11.23°N 78.17°E / 11.23; 78.17. It has an average elevation of 218 metres (715 ft). It is close to Kolli Hills (கொல்லிமலை)- which is part of the Eastern Ghats (கிழக்கு தொடர்சிமலை). The closest river is Kaveri (காவேரி).
The Namakkal City is located with the surrounding Cities as mentioned below (distance in km approximately):
* 360 km southwest of Chennai
* 250 km south of Bangalore
* 150 km east of Coimbatore
* 55 km East of Erode (Textile & turmeric City)
* 55 km South of Salem (Mango & Magnesite City)
* 84 km northwest of Tiruchirapalli
The landscape of Namakkal is such that it would not be affected by floods.
Namakkal is a historic town with reference back to at least 7th century. The name Namakkal derives from Namagiri, which is the name of the single rock formation at the center of the town.Two cave temples at Namakkal were called as Adiyendra Visnugrha (Ranganatha swamy Temple) and Adiyanavaya Visnugrha (Narasimha swamy Temple).These Rock cut shrines were built by King Gunaseela of Adhiyaman clan descendant.Because of his marriage relations with Pallavas the temples were built of Pallava Architectural style during 7th century. Generally, Namakkal is considered to be a Vaishnava Kshetram, and there is no Shiva temple in the town until a few years ago. The rock is enormous - 65 meters high and more than a kilometre in circumference. Over this massive rock, is a fort. The fort over the rock were built by Ramachandra Nayakar, a small king who ruled Namakkal during 16th century. It is believed that Tippu Sultan hide himself in this fort for some time to escape the British. The fort was not built by Tippu Sultan but he occupied it for a brief period of time.Later the fort was captured by British. The front side of the hill is called Thiru. Vi. Ka. Paarai and used by taxis as their stand.Gandhiji held a public meeting in 1933 in Namakkal under the slope of the Namakkal rock. It is one of the few places in Tamil Nadu, that has not been seriously affected by famine and war.
Nearest River Kaveri / Cauvery
Mohanur is one of the small towns, near Namakkal, where the Kaveri River is running towards Tiruchirappalli. At Mohanur, on the bank of Kaveri river, one old and famous Sivan temple- Asala Deepeswarar with Madhukaraveni and also a Navaladiyan Temple.
Lord Anjaneya temple
Namakkal Anjaneyar temple has more than 1500 Years history . The fort of Namakkal is guarded by a giant Anjaneya. The idol is so famous that it has been known as Namakkal Hanuman.Anjaneya is in Digambara temple (with sky as the roof) facing and worshipping Lord Lakshmi Nrusimha and the Saleegramam. The Anjaneya in this kshethra is eighteen feet tall and is having dharshan of the Lord Lakshmi Nrusimha about 250 feet (76 m) away. The eye of Anjaneya is in straight line with the patha [lotus feet] of Lord Lakshmi Nrusimha. One can witness Anjaneya having the dharshan of Lord's Lotus feet from the Garudalwar sannathi even today. The imprint of the footsteps of Anjaneya Swami is seen in the Kamalalam tank steps.There was also a rumour in namakkal that the anjaneyar grows in height each and every year.They also did some poojas and made Anjaneya to be calm and their should not be any disaster in the world.As time passes many would have been forgotton about this rumours.
Namagiri Lakshmi Narasimhaswami Temple
The principal deity worhsipped here is a beautiful carved murti of Lord Vishnu in the form of Sri Narasimha Swami. The beautiful murti and the ancient cave temple are carved out of an imposing hill.There is a separate shrine for Goddess Namagiri Lakshmi.
 Platinum prospects in Namakkal
India’s Geological Survey has found platinum prospects in Namakkal district. Describing them as good discoveries, the government said the GSI is at the scientific stage where there is an evidence of substantial deposits of platinum which needs to be explored further to understand the exact location and quantities.
The GSI was engaged in the exploratory work for the last three years. As of now, exploration was carried out up to 30 metres. If explored further, scientists of the GSI were of the view that the potential will be even greater, both in quantity and quality.
A memorandum of understanding was signed to facilitate further exploration of mineral development of the state.
The Geological Survey of India and Tamil Nadu Minerals Ltd (Tamin) will jointly explore the commercial viability of mining platinum group of minerals present in the Mettupalayalam and Namakkal areas of the state.
As per the agreement, GSI will also carry out surveys to find the presence of platinum in other parts of the state.
Nearby Villages around Namakkal
* Matta Parai Pudur(back to collector office)
* Periya manali
* Vazhavanthi and
* Otta Kulam Pudur
* sungakaram patti
* Potti Reddi Patti
* Thoosoor (Lake in this village is famous)
* Avelnaican Patty
* Bodinayakkan Patti
Tourist Place around Namakkal
Main article: Kolli Hills
The Kolli Hills are featured in several works of classical Tamil literature such as Silappathigaram, Manimekalai, Purananuru and Ainkurnuru. The region was ruled by Valvil Ori around 200 AD, who is praised as one of the seven great philanthropists of ancient Tamil Nadu. His valor and marksmanship are sung by several poets, and his exploits are a popular part of folklore. Ori is said to have killed a lion, bear, deer and a boar with a single arrow. The jackfruit grown on these mountains is known for its taste and fragrance and is often soaked in wild honey that is also harvested from these mountains. The mountains are covered by lush green vegetation in the spring and monsoon, and are streaked with streams which add to the natural beauty. There are three reserved forests that are controlled by the Government of Tamil Nadu, namely Ariyur Solai, Kundur Nadu, Pulianjolai It is not correct to regard the name kolli hills as being due to the incidence of deadly diseases such as malaria!It is because early literature records the existence of an image called kollippavai on top of these hills.This image was believed to represent the spirit of a maiden who lured wayfarers by her beauty and then killed them. The mountain is a site of pilgrimage, because of the Arapaleeswarar temple, which is believed to have a secret path to the Shiva temple in Rasipuram. This Shiva temple is said to have been built by Valvil Ori in the 1st or 2nd century when he ruled this area. "Arappaleeswara sathakam" is the poem which praises the Lord Arappaleeswarar. It is believed that this temple exists during the Sangam period itself.
Tourism: Kolli Hills has to be explored in a leisure space. Kolli Hills has been the top choice for nature lovers, hiking enthusiasts, trekking clubs and meditation practitioners among hill stations in Tamil Nadu. In comparison to other hill stations in Tamil Nadu, Kolli Hills is not commercialized, less polluted and offers unique mountain ranges.
Some of the famous spots are:
* Arungiri Malai(Arunagiri Hills) - Famous Murugan Temple
* Agaya Gangai Waterfalls
* Siddhar caves
* Mini Falls
* Arappaleeswar Temple
* Ettukai Amman Temple KEERAMBUR
* Masi Periyasamy Temple and falls
* Selur View Point
* Boat House
* Botanical Garden
* Seekuparai viewpoint
* Sandana Parai
* German swami's ashram
* Puranikadu Sat Dharma sangam ashram
* Eshwaran Temple, Mavuretty
* Eshwaran Temple(Sendhamangalam)
* Kondamanaickanpatty(tex tils)Download: www.ieType.com/f.php?F2W2VH
What to do in Kolli Hills:
* Nature Walk
* Rock Climbing
* Bird watching
* cave exploration
* star gazing
* Camp fire
* Watching local folklore/Folk dance with campfire.
* Lord Murugan is supposed to have visited Kolli Hills and evidence is found at Belukurichi, 24 kilometres from Namakkal, in the route of Namakkal to Rasipuram via Muthugapatty and Sendamangalam.
* Arthanareeswarar Temple, Tiruchengodu is a Lord Arthanareeswarar Temple situated in Tiruchengodu, Which is 35 km from Namakkal.
Buses Ply to Various important Cities in Tamilnadu like Coimbatore, Trichy, Madurai One new broadgauge Railway Line is under construction, which will connect, Salem with Karur via Mohanur, Namakkal and Rasipuram.
It is expected that this new line will boost up the prosperity of Namakkal and Karur districts.
For Air connection there is a flight from Salem to Chennai 5 days a week. For Good Connectivity people from Namakkal use Trichy, Chennai and Coimbatore Airports.
The temperature ranges from 18 to 42 degrees Celsius throughout the year.
As of 2001[update] India census, Namakkal district had a population of 1493462. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Namakkal has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 84%, and female literacy is 74%. In Namakkal, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Economy and Industries in Namakkal
* The economy of the district was primarily agricultural, but as on today it has changed its occupation to Lorries, Educational Institutions, Poultry Farms and real estate. So, Poultry, Lorry Transport and related businesses drive the economy of the town.
* Namakkal is famous for its Lorry body building industries and Poultry farms. It is India's 2nd biggest egg producing region (producing 3 crore eggs per day).
* A wide variety of crops are grown within the district. One of the main crop is Tapioca and due to that Namakkal is famous for Sago Factories (particularly Sellappampatty and Attur taluk around the place).
* It has been recorded several times to be the "number one" location in ATM transactions in Tamil Nadu. Next to Coimbatore & Erode. Also it has the most number of crorepathis followed by Erode and Tirupur.
V. Ramalingam Pillai, more popularly known as Namakkal Kavignar (நாமக்கல் கவிஞர்), is a Tamil poet who hailed from Namakkal (born in 1888 in Mohanur). His poems on the non-violent Indian independence movement are popular. His famous patriotic poem is
Pottery and sculpture are promoted by way of traditional festivals and temple celebrations. Most villages in the district, like many other south Indian villages, have a temple to a guardian deity at the perimeter of the village. Aiyanar is the guardian deity of the village. Much artistic expression goes into sculpting the Aiyanar statues.
Two famous Carnatic musicians Pallavi vidwan Namakkal Narasimha Iyengar and his student Namakkal Sesha Iyengar hailed from this village. Narasimha Iyengar studied under Manambuchavadi Venkatasubbayyar of the Thyagaraja sishya parampara. His grooming of Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar is now the stuff of legend. Namakkal Sesha Iyengar also trained V V Sadagopan, an actor, musicologist and musician. Namagirippettai Sri.Krishnan a great musician (Nagaswaram) was at Namagirippettai.
* AIDS epidemic and control
o A "Permanent Legal Aid Clinic" for Namakkal has been proposed by the Madras High Court Chief Justice to protect the rights of HIV/AIDS patients, especially women.
* Namakkal, the zero-garbage eco-city
o Namakkal is one of the few Indian Municipalities which have been successful in running a zero garbage, eco-friendly urban waste management project for which visitors are coming to study.
* Train/Railway Station for Namakkal
o Work is in progress on a new broad gauge railway line between Salem and Karur via Namakkal and Mohanur, as part of the Southern Railways network. A rail bridge across the Kaveri River (Cauvery) is to connect Vangal in Karur District and Mohanur in Namakkal District.
* Nearest Airport for Namakkal is Salem Airport
o The Commercial Flights from Salem Airport had started from 15 November 2009, by the Kingfisher Airlines from Salem to Chennai. The Flight between Chennai and Salem run 5 days a week. But still people prefer going to Trichy Airport as it have very good Connection all over the world.
Namakkal assembly constituency is part of Namakkal (Lok Sabha constituency). Mr.S.Gandhiselvan has been elected as M.P. from the newly formed constituency and is union Minister of state for Health & Family Welfare.
 Educational Institutes
Main article: List of educational institutions in Namakkal
Salem Educational Directory
Salem Educational Directory is a website gives you an overview of the Salem Periyar University’s campuses, Affiliated Colleges, Courses Offered, PRIDE Distance Education and articulates many of the reasons why Periyar University is justly renowned nationally and internationally.
* Vivekananda Matriculation Higher Secondary School,Pandamangalam
* Government Higher Secondary school,Palapatti
* National Public School, Namakkal.
* Jayam Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Vallaiyapatti.
* Little Angel Matriculation School, Aniyapuram.
* Government Higher Secondary school,Manickampalayam.
* Spectrum Academy Matriculation School, Namakkal.
* Government Higher Secondary School[ADW], Kalangani.
* Thanthai.P.Padmanaban.Govt. Hr. Sec School, Manali Jedar Palyam- 637410
* Govt Higher Sec School, vaiyappamalai- 637410
* Govt Higher Sec School, Elur - 637018
* Sengunthar Govt Higher Sec School, Gurusami Palayam.
* Govt Higher Sec School, Malla samuthram.
* Shri Vinayaka Metriculation School, Vaiyappamalai.
* The Navodaya Academy CBSE School, Namakkal.
* Government Higher Secondary School,Pandamangalam
* Government Higher Secondary School,Pothanur-638181
* Government Higher Secondary School,Sendhamangalam
* panchayat union middle school,vettambadi.
* Municipal High school -Fort
* Kamaraj Higher Secondary School,Salem road,namakkal
* Government Higher Secondary School,Puduchatram-637018
* Shri Renga Educational Institutions, Rayarpalayam, Tiruchengode - 637 205, Namakkal.
* R.N. Oxford Matriculation Hr. Sec. School,. Pandamangalam
* Sri Vinayaga Higher secondary school, Near collecterate.
* Government Higher Secondary School, Sellappampatty.
* Government Higher Secondary School, Muthugapatty.
* Government Higher Secondary School for Boys, Namakkal (South).
* Government Higher Secondary School for Girls, Namakkal.
* Government Higher Secondary School, Namakkal (North).
* N.S.Arumuga Udayar Government Higher secondary School, AniyapurmPudur, Namakkal DT.
* The Salem co-op sugar mills matriculation school, mohanur, Namakkal DT.
* Government Higher Secondary School, Mohanur
* The Spectrum Academy, Namakkal
* Kongu Matriculation Hr. Sec School, Keerambur
* Kongunadu Matriculation Hr. Sec. School, Velagoundampatti.
* Bharathi Higher Secondary School. Reddipatti, Namakkal - 637001
* Nammalwar middle school, Namakkal
* PGP Group of Institutions, Paramathi, Velur
* Kurinji Matriculation Hr Sec School
* Sri Mahabharathi Higher Secondary School, Koolipatti
* Gandhi Matriculation Hr Sec School, Kandampalayam
* Government Higher Secondary School, Kandampalayam
* Trinity Academy Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Ladhhuvadi
* Kandasamy Kandar Boys Higher Secondary School,Velur, Namakkal
* Kandasamy Kandar Girls Higher Secondary School,Velur, Namakkal
* Kandasamy Kandar Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Namakkal
* Vetha Loga Vidhyalaya, Namakkal
* SRV Higher Secondary School, Rasipuram, Namakkal DT
* Mahendra Matriculation Higher Secondary School (co-educational)
* SPB Matriculation Higher Secondary School
* Anna Nehru Matriculation School, Mudalaipatti
* Surabi Matriculation School, Kamblai, Namakkal
* New Bright Nursery & Primary School, Thanneer Pandal, Pothanur
* SunStars Matriculation School, Vadakaraiyathur
* Jack and Jill Matriculation School, Ramapurumpudur, Namakkal
* King Educational Institutions, Nallur, near Namakkal
* Selvam Educational Institutions, Mullampatti, 5 km away from Namakkal
* Kongu Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Paramathy Velur
* Vetri Vikas Metric Higher Secondary School, Rasipuram.
* Vetri Vikas (Girls) Higher Secondary School, Keeranoor, Malloor.
* Vetri Vikas (Boys) Secondary School, Keeranoor, Malloor.
* Government Higher Secondary School, Kalappanaickenpatty
* Government High School, Konur, Namakkal - 637207.
* Government Higher Secondary School, Paramathi, Namakkal - 637207.
* Vivekananda educational institutions,pandamangalam,namakkal.637208
* Government Higher Secondary School, Pandamangalam, Namakkal - 637
* Government Boys Higher Secondary School,Mallasamudram,namakkal-637503
* Government Girls Higher Secondary School,Mallasamudram,namakkal-637503
Colleges and universities
* The Veterinary College and Research Institute is located in Namakkal and is affiliated with TANUVAS, Chennai. This college has undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral (Veterinary Medicine and Ph.D.) programs in several veterinary and life sciences disciplines.
* Bharath Polytechnic College, Manickampalayam, Tiruchengode.
* K.S.R Institute of Technology,Tiruchengode.
* K.S.R Polytechnic College,Tiruchengode.
* PGP Polytechnic College, Villi Palayam, Namakkal.
* Paavai Polytechnic College, Pachal, Namakkal.
* Muthayammal Polytechnic College, Rasipuram.
* The Salem co-op sugar mills polytechnic college, Mohanur
* C.M.S Polytechnic College, Namakkal
Arts and Science
* K. S. R. College of Arts and Science,Tiruchengode.
* J.K.K.Nattraja College of Arts & Science, Komarapalayam.
* Sengunthar Arts & Science College, Tiruchengode, Namakkal.
* Govt Arts College, Andagalur Gate, Rasipuram.
* Muthayammal College of arts & science, Rasipuram.
* Arignar.Anna. Govt. Arts College kanavaipatti, Namakkal (previously for men till 1998)
* Kandar's College, velur, Namakkal.
* Mahendra College of Arts and Science, Namakkal.
* N.K.R. Government Arts College for Women, Namakkal.
* P.G.P. College of Arts and Science, Namakkal.
* Selvam Arts and Science College, Namakkal.
* Subramaniyam College of Arts and Science, Mohanur, Namakkal.
* Trinity College for Women, Namakkal.
* Vivekanandha College of Arts and Science (W), Elayampalayam.
* Vivekanandha College for Women, Unjanai.
Catering and Hotel Management
* P.G.P. Arts and Science College, Namakkal.
* Selvam Arts & Science College.
* Nala Hotels
* Hotel Golden Palace.
* KSR Dental College, Tiruchengode.
* J.K.K.Nattraja Dental College & Hospital, Komarapalayam
* Vivekanandha Dental College for Women, Tiruchengode
* J.K.K.Nattraja College of Nursing & Research
* K. S. Rangasamy College of Technology, Tiruchengode.
* K.S.R college of engineering, Tiruchengode.
* J.K.K.Nattraja College of Engineering & Technology, Komarapalayam
* PGP College of Engineering and Technology.
* CMS College of Engineering, Namakkal
* Vivekanadha Institute of Engineering and Technology for Women, Elyampalayam
* Annai Mathammal Sheela Engineering College, Erumapatti, Namakkal Dt
* Excel Engineering College, Namakkal
* Gnanamani College of Technology, Namakkal Dt
* Kongunadu College of Engineering & Technology, Namakkal-Trichy Road
* King College of Technology, Namakkal
* Paavai College of Engineering, Namakkal
* Paavai Engineering College, Namakkal
* Selvam College of Technology, Namakkal
* Vivekanadha College of Engineering for Women, Elyampalayam
* The American College
* Mahendra Engineering College, Vadugapalayam, Thiruchengode-salem main road
* Muthayammal Engineering College, Rasipuram, Namakkal District
* Dr. Hahnemann Homoeopathy Medical College and Research Centre, Namakkal Dt
Namakkal is a major lorry and truck hub right from 1950s. Many conglomerates of trailers, tanker lorries are found in Namakkal.
Namakkal district has emerged as one of the transportation hubs of the TN State. About 40 per cent of the trucks operated in the State are from Namakkal and the district, noted for truck body building, has over 18,000 trucks, including 3,000 tankers and 2,500 trailers, with an annual addition of approximately 500 trucks.
Namakkal Driver Training Institute was the first of its kind and has served as a beacon to lead the way in the training of drivers.
Easily accessible from Erode, Salem and Trichy, and spread over 25 acres (100,000 m2), the campus includes a driving range with every conceivable road configuration. A spacious building accommodates large classrooms, a library, a model room, a laboratory and a cafeteria with an open-air theatre attached.
The driving range consists of single-lane, two-lane, four-lane and six-lane roads, ‘S’ bend, ‘8’ bend and hairpin bend, humps and dips with varying gradients, speed breakers, bye-pass road, ‘Y’ junction, a variety of parking bays, basic and variable yards.
The roads come with electronic signals, signs, markings and streetlights for night driving – everything, in fact, that drivers will encounter on the highways.
 Poultry Hub
Namakkal, the major poultry producer of southern India, has been witnessing a positive change in the recent years. The district alone accounts for about 75 per cent of the birds produced in the Namakkal zone of the National Egg Coordination Committee. The poultry sector in the zone has grown by 19.53 per cent in the past two years[when?]. The total number of birds has gone up from 307.34 lakh in 2005-06 to 367.35 lakh in 2007-08. The zone produces about 2.5 crore eggs a day, with Namakkal contributing 1.75 crore of the total production. The labour-intensive sector provides direct employment to over one lakh people.